B1B2 Visa Extension

B1B2 Visitor visa is issued for 6 months stay in US, but the USCIS can extend your B1B2 Visa for a maximum period of another 6 months with a B1B2 visa extension application.

You need to file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Non-immigrant Status to extend your B1B2 Visa. People entering US for temporary period are issued non-immigrant visa B1 for business and B2 for leisure, tourism or medical treatment. This is also known as Visitor visa, which is issued for 6 months, but the USCIS can extend your B1B2 Visa for a maximum period of another 6 months. At the port of entry, in spite of the visa being stamped for six months, the immigration officer decides on the time a visitor is permitted to stay in US, and that date is the one that will be entered on the I-94 card.

Criteria for Applying for an Extension


You can file for an extension B1B2 visa if you meet all of the following criteria:

  • You legally entered US with a non-immigrant visa

  • You have a valid reason to request an extension

  • You are not involved in any criminal activity

  • Your non-immigrant status holds validity

  • You did not violate any conditions at the time of admission

  • Your passport remains valid for the duration of your stay

  • You can provide proof of economic support for your extended stay.

  • You can provide proof of specific intention of leaving US, when the purpose of the extended visit is over.

Documents Required to File Extension B1B2 Visa

  • A letter asserting the reason behind the requested extension

  • Completed I-539 form

  • Evidence of financial support

  • As testimony of your intention to stay temporarily, copy of return tickets

  • Payment of fees for visa extension, inclusive of the fees for every person included in the application

  • Original I-94 card or photocopy of I-94 card for every applicant

  • Proof that you have a passport that is valid for the duration of your stay.

B1B2 Visa Extension FAQs

  • What if I file on time for visa extension, but I leave the America before USCIS makes a decision on my application?
    If you leave the US before a decision is made on your application to extend and you plan to return to the U.S. in the future, please keep a copy of your application plus the receipt notice to show to the Immigration Inspector on your return travel to the U.S. Otherwise, you may be denied entry for overstaying on your last visit.

  • How Long you can stay after applying for visa extension?
    If USICS receive your application before your status expires (or, in exceptional cases, we excuse filing after your status expires due to circumstances beyond your control), and if you have not violated the terms of your status and meet the basic eligibility requirements, then you may continue your previously approved activities in the U.S.( including previously authorized work, for a period of up to 240 days), until we make a decision on your application or until the reason for your requested extension has been accomplished- whichever comes first.

  • If my request to stay past my initial period of admission was denied by the CIS, how long do I have before I have to leave the U.S.?
    The CIS generally allows you 30 days to depart the U.S. starting from the date on the letter notifying you of their decision to deny an extension. If you do not depart within 30 days, you will be considered deportable. The CIS cautions that if you are refused permission to extend your stay, you may encounter problems with Consulates overseas the next time you apply for a U.S. visa because their computer records will indicate that you did not leave the U.S. within the time frame of your initial period of entry. Be sure to keep your rejection letter and proof of the date of your departure (a boarding pass is the best thing, but passport stamps showing entry into another country is also helpful) to give the consulate the next time you apply for a new visa. Having those may mitigate your apparent overstay and could improve your chances of renewing your visa without the five year restriction usually applied to people that have overstayed their visit.